In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Morton like this:
MORTON, a parish, with a village, in Southwell district, Notts; on the Nottingham and Lincoln railway, near Fiskerton r. station, and near the river Trent, 2½ miles SE by S of Southwell. Post town, Fiskerton, under Newark. Acres, 498. Real property, £1,252. Pop., 142. Houses, 34. The property is much subdivided. The manor belongs to W. Wright, Esq. Mor ton Grange is the residence of H.Barnett, Esq. The living is a p. cnracy, annexed to the vicarage of Bleasby, in the diocese of Lincoln. The church is a neat brick structure, of nave and small chancel, with an embattled tower.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Morton has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Newark and Sherwood. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Morton and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Morton, in Newark and Sherwood and Nottinghamshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 08th December 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Morton".