In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Longford like this:
LONGFORD, a hamlet in Britford parish, Wilts; on the river Avon, 2½ miles SE of Salisbury. Longford Castle is the seat of the Earl of Radnor; was built about 1591, by Sir Thomas Georges, at a cost of about £18,000; had originally a triangular form, flanked at the angles by circular towers, and surrounded by a moat; was besieged and captured in 1645, by Cromwell; came into the possession of the Radnor family in 1717; was altered by the late Lord Radnor, who intended to rebuild it in a hexagonal form, but left it unfinished; continues still incomplete, flanked by five towers; and contains a remarkably rich picture-gallery, noted particularly for paintings by Holbein.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Longford has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Salisbury. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Longford and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Longford, in Salisbury and Wiltshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 11th December 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Longford".