In 1887, John Bartholomew's Gazetteer of the British Isles described Llanthony like this:
Llanthony Abbey, ruin, Cwmyoy par., Monmouthshire, on river Honddu, 9½ miles N. of Abergavenny; P.O., called Llanthony; was built 1108-15, and presents extensive and interesting remains. Llanthony Abbey forms a curacy, the statistics being included in Cwmyoy par. The name Llanthony is a corruption of Llanddewi-Nant-Honddu.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Llanthony has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Monmouthshire. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Llanthony and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Llanthony in Monmouthshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 05th December 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Llanthony".