In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Leaton like this:
LEATON, a township in Shrewsbury-St. Mary parish, and a chapelry partly also in Fitz and Preston-Gubbals parishes, Salop. The township lies on the Shrewsbury and Chester railway, near the river Severn, 4¼ miles NNW of Shrewsbury; and has a station on the railway.The chapelry was constituted in 1860. Posttown, Shrewsbury. Pop., 434. Houses, 101. Pop. of the St. Mary portion, 279; of the Preston-Gubbals portion, 141. Leaton Knolls is the seat ofS. Lloyd, Esq. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Lichfield. Value, £105. Patron, S. Lloyd, Esq. The church was built in 1860, at a cost of £5, 475; is in the early English style; and consists of nave, aisles, and chancel, with tower and spire.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Leaton has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Shrewsbury and Atcham. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Leaton and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Leaton, in Shrewsbury and Atcham and Shropshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 05th May 2016
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Leaton".