In 1882-4, Frances Groome's Ordnance Gazetteer of Scotland described Knoydart like this:
Knoydart, a district and a quoad sacra parish in Glenelg parish, W Inverness-shire. The district is bounded on the N by Loch Hourn, on the E by Kilmonivaig, on the S by Loch Nevis, on the W by the Sound of Sleat. Its greatest length, from E to W, is 15 miles; its greatest breadth is 9 miles; and its area is about 85 square miles. The surface is mostly mountainous, yet includes a considerable aggregate of arable land; and it abounds in features of romantic and grandly picturesque scenery. ...
Guseran Water rises on the E border, and runs through the middle to the Sound of Sleat; and Inverie House stands on Loch Nevis, 10 miles SSE of Isle Ornsay and 54 WSW of Fort Augustus, and is the seat of John Baird, Esq. of Lochwood and Knoydart (b. 1852; suc. 1876), who holds 60,000 acres in the shire, valued at £4033 per annum. The quoad sacra parish, which is nearly conterminous with the district, and which sprang from a mission station of the Royal Bounty, is in the presbytery of Lochcarron and synod of Glenelg. The stipend is £120. A Roman Catholic church, St Anthony's, was built in 1850, and contains 300 sittings. Pop. of parish (1871) 470, (1881) 437.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Knoydart has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Highland. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Knoydart and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Knoydart, in Highland and Inverness Shire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 25th May 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Knoydart".