In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Kingsgate like this:
KINGSGATE, a hamlet in St. Peter parish, Kent; on the coast, near the North Foreland, 3 miles E of Margate. It commands a pass or gate through the cliffs to the sea; it was originally called Bartholomew-Gate; and it took its present name from the landing at it, in 1683, of Charles II. and the Duke of York. An actual gate, with portcullies, once guarded the pass; but has completely disappeared. A mansion was built above the gate, toward the middle of last century, by Lord Holland, after the model of Cicero's Roman vil1a; and the grounds around it were studded with imitations of ancient buildings and ruins. The convent and the Castle, two of the most prominent of these buildings, have been converted into private residences. A coast guard station is at the hamlet.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Kingsgate has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Thanet. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Kingsgate and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Kingsgate, in Thanet and Kent | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 26th September 2016
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Kingsgate".