In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Jackfield like this:
JACKFIELD, a village and a chapelry in Broseley parish, Salop. The village stands on the right bank of the river Severn, near Ironbridge r. station, and 1 mile NE of Broseley; and has a post office under Wellington, Salop. The chapelry was constituted in 1862. Pop., about 1, 500. Bricks and tiles are extensively made, and ironstone is calcined. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Hereford. Value, £109. Patron, alternately F. B. Harries, Esq. and the Rector of Broseley. The church was built in 1863, to the memory of G. Pritchard, Esq., at a cost of £3, 000; is in the French second pointed style, of coloured bricks with stone dressings; is cruciform; and has a turret of unusual character, 75 feet high. There is a national school.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Jackfield has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Bridgnorth. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Jackfield and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Jackfield, in Bridgnorth and Shropshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 01st April 2015
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Jackfield".