In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Houghton like this:
HOUGHTON, a township in Stanwix parish, and a chapelry including also Kingmoor extra-parochial tract, Cumberland. The township lies on an affluent of the river Eden and on the North British railway, adjacent to the Roman wall, 2½ miles N by E of Carlisle. Acres, 1, 478. Real property, £2, 579. Pop., 369. Houses, 80. The chapelry was constituted in 1841; and its post town is Carlisle. Pop., 865. Houses, 178. Houghton Hall is a chief residence. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Carlisle. Value, £40. Patrons, Trustees. The church was built in 1840, and has a tower. There is an endowed school.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Houghton has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Carlisle. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Houghton and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Houghton, in Carlisle and Cumberland | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 08th December 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Houghton".