In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Hanford like this:
HANFORD, a township and a chapelry in Trentham parish, Stafford. The township lies near the Grand Trunk canal and the Northwestern railway, 2½ miles S of Stoke-on-Trent; and has a post office under Stokeon-Trent. Real property, £1, 963. Pop., 832. Houses, 187. The property is divided among a few. Hanford Hall belongs to the Duke of Sutherland.The chapelry was constituted in 1831; and is rather larger than the township. Pop., 857. Houses, 191. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Lichfield. Value, £140. Patron, the Duke of Sutherland. The church was built in 1827, and enlarged and improved in 1862.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Hanford has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Stoke on Trent. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Hanford and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Hanford, in Stoke on Trent and Staffordshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 30th July 2014
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Hanford".