In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Eglwys Newydd like this:
EGLWYS-NEWYDD, a chapelry in Llanfihangel-y-Creuddyn parish, Cardigan; on the river Ystwyth, 14 miles ESE of Aberystwith r. station. Post town, Devil's Bridge, under Aberystwith. Acres, 15, 961. Real property, £6, 326; of which £4, 103 are in mines. Pop. in 1851, 1, 388; in 1861, 1, 796. Houses, 342. The increase of population arose from the extension of lead mining. The chapelry is co-extensive with Llanfihangel-y-Creu-ddyn-Ucha township. Hafod Park here belonged to the Herbert family; passed, by marriage, to the family of Johnes; and afterwards passed, by purchase, first to the Duke of Newcastle, then to Henry Houghton, Esq. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of St. David. Value, £95. Patron, H. Houghton, Esq. The church was built in 1803, on the site of a previous decayed edifice; and contains a fine monument to a Johnes.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Eglwys Newydd has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Ceredigion. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Eglwys Newydd and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Eglwys Newydd, in Ceredigion and Cardiganshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 22nd May 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Eglwys Newydd".