In 1882-4, Frances Groome's Ordnance Gazetteer of Scotland described East Burra like this:
House or East Burra, an island in Bressay parish, Shetland, lying between Burra and the W coast of the Mainland, and separated from the latter by Cliff's Sound. It commences 8½ miles SW of Lerwick, extends 5 miles south-south-westward, and has mostly a breadth of from ½ to 1 mile. Its coast is rocky; its interior is mostly a hilly ridge, and its W side, at one part, approaches so near Burra as to be connected with it by a rude timber bridge. Pop. (1861) 209, (1871) 239, (1881) 215.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing East Burra has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Shetland Islands. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering East Burra and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of East Burra in Shetland Islands | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 08th December 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "East Burra".