In 1882-4, Frances Groome's Ordnance Gazetteer of Scotland described Dowally like this:
Dowally, a village in the united parish of Dunkeld and Dowally, central Perthshire, 5 furlongs SSE of Guay station on the Highland railway, this being 5¾ miles NNW of Dunkeld station. It stands on the left bank of the Tay, which here is joined by Dowally Burn, and, ½ mile higher up, is spanned by Dalguise viaduct. Dowally Burn issues from Lochan Oisinneach Bheag (1¼ x ¾ furl.) in Logierait parish, and runs 7¼ miles south-south-westward, traversing Lochan Oisinneach Mhor (4 x 2½ furl.) and Loch Ordie (5 x 3½ furl.), whilst receiving a streamlet that runs ¼ mile north-westward from Dowally Loch (1¾ x ¾ furl.). ...
At the village are a public school and an Established church (1818; 220 sittings), which retains the old jougs of the church of St Anne, built here by Bishop George Brown of Dunkeld in 1500, when Dowally, till then a chapelry of Caputh, was constituted a separate parish. It now is united to Dunkeld, but stands so far distinct, that it is a Gaelic, while Dunkeld is an English, district. Pop. of Dowally registration division (1861) 486, (1871) 461, (1881) 431.Ord. Sur-, sh. 55,1869.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Dowally has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Perth and Kinross. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Dowally and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Dowally, in Perth and Kinross and Perthshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 27th May 2015
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Dowally".