In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Beeston like this:
BEESTON, a township-chapelry in Leeds parish, W. R. Yorkshire; on the Leeds and West Riding railway, within the borough of Leeds, 2¼. miles SSW of the town of Leeds. It has a station on the railway, and a post office under Leeds. Acres, 1,535. Real property, £8,607,-of which £2,100 are in mines. Pop., 2,547. Houses, 537. Extensive coal mines here were worked from the time of Charles II.; but have become partly exhausted. There are woollen and iron manufactures. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Ripon. Value, £189.* Patron, the Vicar of Leeds. The church is very old; and there are two Methodist chapels.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Beeston has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Leeds. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Beeston and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Beeston, in Leeds and West Riding | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 18th June 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Beeston".