In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Aston like this:
ASTON, a chapelry in Stone parish, Stafford; on the river Trent, the Grand Trunk canal, and the Northwestern railway, 2 miles SE of Stone. It includes the hamlet of Little Aston; and has a post office under Stafford. Real property, with Burston, Stoke, and Little Aston, £6,188. Pop., 625. Houses, 149. The manor belonged anciently to the Astons, and passed to the Hevinghams and the Simeons. The living is a p. curacy, united with the curacy of Burston, in the diocese of Lichfield. Value, £166. Patron, the Hon. E. S. Jervis. The church is a neat edifice in the English style, with a tower. There is a Roman Catholic church.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Aston has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Stafford. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Aston and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Aston, in Stafford and Staffordshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 26th June 2016
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Aston".