In 1882-4, Frances Groome's Ordnance Gazetteer of Scotland described Amisfield like this:
Amisfield, a village and a mansion in Tinwald parish,Dumfriesshire. The village stands on a head-stream of Lochar Water, near the Dumfries and Lockerbie branch of the Caledonian, under the Tinwald Hills, 4 miles NNE of Dumfries. It has a station on the railway, and a post office under Dumfries. The mansion, standing ½ mile NNW of the village, is partly a modern edifice, partly an old baronial fortalice, one of the most interesting of its kind. It belonged from the 12th century to the Anglo-Norman family of Charteris, of whom Sir Thomas became Lord High Chancellor of Scotland in 1280: Sir John was Warden of the West Marches under James V., and by that king (as ' Gudeman of Ballangeich ') was punished for wrong-doing to a widow: and another Sir John was an active Royalist during the Great Rebellion, as also was his brother Captain Alex. ...
Charteris, beheaded at Edinburgh in 1650. An oak door, curiously carved with ' Samson and the lion, ' and dated 1600, has found its way from Amisfield Castle to the Antiquarian Museum at Edinburgh. Remains of a little fort, which may have been Roman, are on the Amisfield estate, near the line of a Roman road.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Amisfield has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Dumfries and Galloway. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Amisfield and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Amisfield, in Dumfries and Galloway and Dumfries Shire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 22nd September 2014
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Amisfield".