In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Paddock Wood like this:
PADDOCK-WOOD, a hamlet in Brenchley parish, and a chapelry partly also in Yalding and Nettlestead parishes, Kent. The hamlet lies in the Weald, on the Southeastern railway, at the junction of the branch to Maidstone, 2¾ miles N by W of Brenchley, and 6 E by S of Tunbridge; and has a station with telegraph at the railway junction, and an inn. The chapelry was constituted in 1860; and its post town is Brenchley, under Staplehurst. Pop. of the Brenchley portion, 713; of thewhole, 898. Houses of the B. portion, 131; of thewhole, 166. Bricks and tiles are made. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Canterbury. Value, £225.* Patron, G.Courthope, Esq. The church is a neatstone building, in the pointed style; and consists of nave and chancel, with a small tower.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Paddock Wood has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Tunbridge Wells. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Paddock Wood and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Paddock Wood, in Tunbridge Wells and Kent | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 10th December 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Paddock Wood".