Place:


Leytonstone  Essex

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Leytonstone like this:

LEYTONSTONE, a village and a chapelry in Leyton parish, Essex. The village runs parallel to Leyton village, and northward of it; lies on the Roman road to Colchester, adjacent to the London and Ongar railway; took the latter part of its name from a Roman milliarium, which stood at it; has recently undergone great increase; contains many fine suburban villas; and has a station on the railway, about a mile N of that of Leyton, and a post office under London NE. ...


The chapelry was constituted in 1845. Pop. in 1861,2,396. Houses, 325. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of London. Value, £150.* Patron, J. Pardoe, Esq. The church occupies a commanding site on the road from Stratford to Epping; and is a handsome edifice, with light square W tower, surmounted by four fine spirelets. There are an Independent chapel, and a national school for boys and girls.

Leytonstone through time

Leytonstone is now part of Waltham Forest district. Click here for graphs and data of how Waltham Forest has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Leytonstone itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Leytonstone, in Waltham Forest and Essex | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/21312

Date accessed: 19th March 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Leytonstone ".