In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Cross Stone like this:
CROSSTONE, Cross-Stone, or Croston, a village, and a chapelry in Halifax parish, W. R. Yorkshire. The village is in Stansfield township, on the west border of the county; stands near Eastwood r. station, and 8½ miles W of Halifax; and had anciently a stone cross. The chapelry includes the village, and is more extensive than the township. Post town, Eastwood, under Todmorden. Rated property, £25, 527. Pop., 9, 567. The property is much subdivided. The living is a p. curacy, united with the p. curacy of Lydgate, in the diocese of Ripon. Value, £300.* Patron, the Vicar of Halifax. The church is good; and there are three dissenting chapels.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Cross Stone has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Calderdale. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Cross Stone and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Cross Stone, in Calderdale and West Riding | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 19th May 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Cross Stone".