In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Ripley like this:
RIPLEY, a village, a chapelry, and a sub-district, in Guild ford district, Surrey. The village stands near the river Wey, 3½ miles S E by E of Woking r. station, and 6 N E of Guild ford; and has a post-office under Woking Station, and fairs on 22 July and 11 Nov. The chapelry is in Send parish. Pop., 933. Houses, 177. The living is a vicarage, annexed to the vicarage of Send, in the diocese of Winchester. The church was mainly rebuilt in 1846; but retains the chancel of an early Englishchapel, which belonged to Newark priory. There is a national school.The sub-district contains also therest of Send parish, and two other parishes. Acres, 8, 823. Pop., 2, 591. Houses, 481.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Ripley has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Guildford. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Ripley and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Ripley, in Guildford and Surrey | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 05th December 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Ripley".