In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Penkelly like this:
PENKELLY, a hamlet and a hundred in Breconshire. The hamlet is in Llanvigan parish; lies 4¼ miles S E of Brecon; and has remains of a castle which belonged to the Mortimers, the Despencers, the Devereuxs, the Herberts, and others. Pop., 375. The hundred contains Llanvigan parish, eleven other parishes, and part of another. Acres, 65, 672. Pop. in 1851, 6,056; in 1861, 6, 465. Houses, 1, 353.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Penkelly has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Powys. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Penkelly and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Penkelly, in Powys and Brecknockshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 18th May 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Penkelly".