In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Alverthorpe like this:
ALVERTHORPE, a village, a township, a chapelry, and a subdistrict in Wakefield parish, W. R. Yorkshire. The village stands near the Midland railway, 1½ mile NW of Wakefield; and has a post office under Wakefield. The township bears the name of Alverthorpe with-Thornes; lies partly within the borough boundaries of Wakefield; and contains the hamlets of Fanshaw, Kirkham-Gate, and Silcoates, and part of the hamlet of Newton. Acres, 3,153. Real property, £23,690. Pop., 6,645. Houses, 1,423. ...
The property is much subdivided.The chapelry was constituted in 1830. Pop., 4,590. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Ripon. Value, £300.* Patron, the Vicar of Wakefield. The church is large, modern, and handsome. There are three Methodist chapels, the Northern Congregational grammar school, four national schools, and charities £50.-The subdistrict is co-extensive with the township.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Alverthorpe has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Wakefield. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Alverthorpe and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Alverthorpe, in Wakefield and West Riding | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 31st July 2015
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Alverthorpe".