In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Weston like this:
MARY-EXTRA (ST.), or WESTON, a parish and a subdistrict in South Stoneham district, Hants. The parish lies on the river Itchin and on the Southwestern railway, adjacent to Southampton; and contains the places called Weston, Woolston, Itchenor, and Newtown. Posttown, Southampton. Acres, 2,980; of which 940 are water. Real property, £31,526. Pop. in 1851,1,446; in 1861,2,468. Houses, 463. The increase of pop. arose from the employment afforded to artizans and others in Southampton. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Winchester. Value, £170. * Patron, Mrs. W. L. Davies. The church is called Jesus chapel; and there are churches also in Weston, Woolston, and Newtown.The sub-district contains also three other parishes. Acres, 9,895. Pop., 5,675. Houses, 1,065.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Weston has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Southampton. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Weston and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Weston, in Southampton and Hampshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 19th May 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Weston".