Place:


Wissington  Suffolk

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Wissington like this:

WISTON, a parish in Sudbury district, Suffolk; on the river Stour, 1½ mile WSW of Nayland , and 3 E of Bures r. station. Post town, Nayland , under Colchester. Acres, 1,485. Real property, £2,882. Pop., 254. houses, 51. The manor belongs to Mrs. Beachcroft. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Ely. Value, £360.* Patron, the Lord Chancellor. The church is Norman.

Wissington through time

Wissington is now part of Babergh district. Click here for graphs and data of how Babergh has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Wissington itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Wissington, in Babergh and Suffolk | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/21211

Date accessed: 20th November 2018


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Wissington ".