In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Buckland Near Dover like this:
BUCKLAND, a parish in Dover district, Kent: on the river Dour, and on the Canterbury and Dover railway, 1½ mile NW of Dover. Post Town, Dover. Acres, 978. Real property, £6,831. Pop., 2,162. Houses, 377. The property is subdivided. The surface is hilly. There are paper and corn mills. A lepers hospital was founded about 1150. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Canterbury. Value, £139.* Patron, the Archbishop of Canterbury. The church is good; and there are a Wesleyan chapel and a national school.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Buckland Near Dover has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Dover. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Buckland Near Dover and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Buckland Near Dover, in Dover and Kent | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 19th May 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Buckland Near Dover".