In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Tilford like this:
TILFORD, a chapelry in Farnham parish, Surrey; on the river Wey, 2¾ miles SE of Farnham r. station. It has a post-office under Farnham. Pop., 450. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Manchester. Value, £250.* Patron, the Archdeacon of Surrey.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Tilford has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Waverley. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Tilford and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Tilford, in Waverley and Surrey | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 13th December 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Tilford".