In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Fyfield like this:
FYFIELD, a parish and a sub-district in Abingdon district, Berks. The parish lies near the river Isis, at the boundary with Oxford, 5 miles W by N of Abingdon town and r. station; and contains the hamlets of Netherton and Wick. Post town, Marcham, under Abingdon. Acres, 1, 620. Real property, £2, 537. Pop., 439. Houses, 96. The property is divided among a few. An hospital was founded here before the time of Henry VI. Limestone is worked. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Oxford. ...
Value, £125. Patron, St. John's College, Oxford. The church is good; and contains the tomb and effigies of Sir John Golafre, popularly called Gulliver. Charities, £23. A grand elm-tree is here, 36 feet in circuit, described by Arnold as a resort of
Maidens, who from the distant hamlets come,
To dance round Fyfield elm in May.
The sub-district contains four parishes and parts of two others. Acres, 7, 963. Pop., 1,861. Houses, 426.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Fyfield has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Vale of White Horse. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Fyfield and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Fyfield, in Vale of White Horse and Berkshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 12th December 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Fyfield".