In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Purbrook like this:
PURBROOK, a village and a chapelry in Farlington parish, Hants. The village stands near Portsdown hill, 3 miles W by N of Havant r. station, and 6½ N N E of Portsmouth; and has a post-office under Cosham, Hants. The chapelry was constituted in 1858. Pop., 335. Houses, 54. P. Park is the seat of J. Deverill, Esq. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Winchester. Value, £50. Patron, the Rector of Farlington. The church was built in 1858.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Purbrook has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Havant. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Purbrook and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Purbrook, in Havant and Hampshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 26th May 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Purbrook".