In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Merston like this:
MERSTON, a hamlet in Shorne parish, Kent; 2 miles NW of Strood r. station. It consists only of a few labourers' cottages; and it formerly was politically, and is still ecclesiastically, a parish. The living is a sinecure rectory in the diocese of Rochester. Valne, £.90. Patron, the Lord Chancellor. There is no church. Bishop Hildesley was a native.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Merston has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Gravesham. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Merston and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Merston, in Gravesham and Kent | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 25th May 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Merston".