In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Little Ilford like this:
ILFORD (LITTLE), a village and a parish in West Ham district, Essex. The village stands adjacent to the river Roding and to the London and Tilbury railway, ¾ of a mile NE of East Ham r. station, and 3¼ E by N of Stratford; and has a post office under Ilford, London E. The parish contains also the new village of Green-Hill-Grove. Acres, 763. Real property, £3,220. Pop. in 1851, 187; in 1861, 594. Houses, 124. The increase of pop. arose from the formation of Green-Hill-Grove village. ...
The property is divided among a few. The manor belongs to J. W. Wight, Esq. Ilford Lodge and llford Cottage are chief residences. The New City of London cemetery is here; was opened in 1856; comprises an area of 89½ acres; and was formed at a cost of £80, 000. The Essex county house of correction also is here; was erected in 1831; and has accommodation for 51 male and 5 female prisoners. Petty sessions are held in this building every Saturday. The living is a rectory in the diocese of London. Value, £408.* Patron, J. W. Wight, Esq. The church is old bnt good, and contains several handsome monuments. Charities, £31.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Little Ilford has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Newham. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Little Ilford and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Little Ilford, in Newham and Essex | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 04th December 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Little Ilford".