In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Lever Bridge like this:
LEVERBRIDGE, a chapelry in Bolton-le-Moors parish, Lancashire; on the river Croal, the Bolton and Bury railway, and the Bolton and Manchester canal, 1½ mile E by S of Bolton r. station. It comprises the township of Darcy-Lever, and part of the township of Haulgh; and was constituted in 1844. Post town, Bolton. Rated property, £9,497. Pop., 2,844. Houses, 559. Most of the land belongs to the Earl of Bradford, Capt. Oats, and Mr. Bradshaw. Darcy-Lever Hall is the seat of W. Gray, Esq.; Darcy-Lever Old Hall, of W. ...
Horridge, Esq.; and Snow-Hill, of E. Barlow, Esq. There are several collieries and cotton mills. A magnificent viaduct takes the Bolton and Bury railway over the valley; and a three-arched aqueduct takes the Bolton and Manchester canal across the river. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Manchester. Value, £210. Patron, alternately the Crown and the Bishop. The church was built in 1844, at a cost of upwards of £3,000, on a site given by the Earl of Bradford; and is a cruciform structure of terracotta, in the decorated English style, with tower and spire. There are a Wesleyan chapel, a national school, and charities £35.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Lever Bridge has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Bolton. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Lever Bridge and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Lever Bridge, in Bolton and Lancashire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 02nd December 2016
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Lever Bridge".