In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Kingston like this:
KINGSTON, a village and a sub-district in Portsea Island district, Hants. The village is in Portsea parish; stands 1 mile NE of Portsmouth; is populous and pleasant; and contains Portsea church.The sub-district comprises a large portion of Portsea parish, a small portion of Portsmouth parish, and the extra-parochial tract of Great Salterns. Pop. in 1851, 17, 696; in 1861, 23, 089. Houses, 4, 334.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Kingston has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Portsmouth. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Kingston and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Kingston, in Portsmouth and Hampshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 22nd October 2014
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Kingston".