In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Great Chalfield like this:
CHALFIELD (Great), a parish in Bradford district, Wilts; on an affluent of the river Avon, 1¼ mile N of Holt Junction r. station, and 3 W of Melksham. Post Town, Holt, under Trowbridge. Acres, 700. Real property, with Little Chalfield and Cottles, £2,432. Pop., 12. Houses, 3. The property is divided among three. The manor belonged to the Tropenells, and passed to the Eyres; and the manor house, built by the former, still stands, is surrounded by a moat, and forms a beautiful specimen of a mansion of the time of Edward IV. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Salisbury. Value, £162. Patron, Lady Neale. The church is fair.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Great Chalfield has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of West Wiltshire. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Great Chalfield and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Great Chalfield in West Wiltshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 31st May 2016
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Great Chalfield".