In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Ferryside like this:
FERRYSIDE, a village and a chapelry in St. Ishmael parish, Carmarthen. The village stands on the river Towy, near its mouth, and adjacent to the South Wales railway, 4 miles NW of Kidwelty; and has a station on the railway, and a post office‡ under Kidwelty. It is a pretty place; overlooks a great expanse of tidal sand; is a rising watering-place, frequented by the people of Carmarthen and neighbouring towns; has a good inn; and possesses the recommendations of beautiful situation, pure air, excellent bathing-ground, cheapness of living., and command of excursions. ...
An extensive cockle fishery is carried on at it; and so many as from 800 to 1, 000 persons may be seen on its sands, and on those of Langharne, seeking for cockles, on the day before the steamer sails for Bristol. The chapelry does not seem to have definite limits; and its statistics are returned with those of the parish. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of St. David's. Value, £23. Patron, the Vicar of St. Ishmael.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Ferryside has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Carmarthenshire. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Ferryside and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Ferryside in Carmarthenshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 09th December 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Ferryside".