In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Dalston like this:
DALSTON, a chapelry in St. John-Hackney parish, Middlesex; on the North London railway, contiguous to Hackney, 3 miles NNE of St. Paul's, London. It has a post office‡ under London NE, and a r. station; was constituted in 1848; and contains some old houses, many new ones, the German hospital, and the Refuge or the destitute. Pop., 10, 247. Houses, 1, 740. The living bears the name of St. Philip's, and is a p. curacy in the diocese of London. Value, £350.* Patron, the Rector of St. John-Hackney. The church was built in 1841, at a cost of £5, 700. There is another church, St. Mark's, with separate incumbency. Value, not reported. Patron, the Rector of West Hackney.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Dalston has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Hackney. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Dalston and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Dalston, in Hackney and Middlesex | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 19th June 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Dalston".