In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Chorlton upon Medlock like this:
CHORLTON-UPON-MEDLOCK, a township, five chapelries, and a sub-district in Chorlton district, Manchester parish, Lancashire. The township lies within Manchester borough, and includes the south-eastern part of Manchester city. Acres, 700. Real property, £178, 750. Pop., in 1841, 28, 336; in 1861, 44, 795. Houses, 8, 584. -The chapelries are All Saints, St. Luke, St. Saviour, St. Stephen, and St. Paul, and all are rectories in the diocese of Manchester. Value of All Saints, £488; of St. ...
Luke, £300;* of St. Saviour, £543;* of St. Stephen, £356;* of St. Paul, £248.* Patrons of All Saints, the Representatives of the Rev. Dr. Burton; of St. Luke, the Repr. of R. Gardner, Esq.; of St. Saviour, the Rev. E. Birch; of St. Stephen and St. Paul, Trustees. All Saints church was built in 1820, and has a tower and dome. St. Luke's was built in 1865, and is in the decorated English style. St. Paul's was built in 1862, and is in the later English style. An Armenian church, the earliest in England, was founded in Sept., 1869. A free library was built in 1866, at a cost of £4, 000; and had 6, 000 volumes at its opening. A medical hospital was built in 1865. Land for a public park was purchased in 1868.-The sub-d. is co-terminate with the township.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Chorlton upon Medlock has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Manchester. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Chorlton upon Medlock and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Chorlton upon Medlock, in Manchester and Lancashire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 31st July 2014
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Chorlton upon Medlock".