In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Penarth like this:
PENARTH, a hundred in Cardigan; containing Caron-ys-Clawdd parish, and four other parishes. Acres, 86, 568. Pop., 6, 965. Houses, 1, 477.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Penarth has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Ceredigion. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Penarth and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Penarth, in Ceredigion and Cardiganshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 22nd May 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Penarth".