In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described High Halstow like this:
HALSTOW (HIGH), a parish in Hoo district, Kent; 5 miles NE by E of Higham r. station, and 5½. N by E of Rochester. Post town, Hoo, under Rochester. Acres, 4, 244; of which 1, 055 are water. Real property, £, 772. Pop., 363. Houses, 64. The property is divided among a few. Northwood hill commands an extensive view of the shore of the Thames. Part of the land is marsh, with reed beds; and the Mean is a tract of 262 acres, indefinitely divided between this parish and Hoo ST. Mary. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Rochester. Value, £700.* Patron, T. Briggs, Esq. The church has a brass of 1396, and is good. Charities, £25.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing High Halstow has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Medway. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering High Halstow and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of High Halstow, in Medway and Kent | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 19th June 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "High Halstow".