In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Charlton like this:
CHARLTON, a hundred in Berks. It marches with Hants, at the Blackwater river; is 7 miles long; and contains Barkham and Finchampstead parishes, and parts of three others. Acres, 18,840. Pop., 3,202. Houses, 660.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Charlton has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Wokingham. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Charlton and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Charlton, in Wokingham and Berkshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 07th December 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Charlton".