In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Copthorne like this:
COPTHORNE, a hundred in Surrey. It lies around Epsom and Leatherhead; contains eleven parishes and part of another; and is cut into two divisions, first and second. Acres, 14, 909 and 19, 745. Pop. of the whole, 13, 964. Houses, 2, 523.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Copthorne has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Reigate and Banstead. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Copthorne and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Copthorne, in Reigate and Banstead and Surrey | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 07th December 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Copthorne".