In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Hessle like this:
HESSLE, a village, a parish, and a sub-district in Sculcoates district, E. R. Yorkshire. The village stands on the Humber, at the ferry to Barton, and on the Hull and Selby railway, 4½ miles W by S of Hnll; and has a station on the railway, and a post office‡ under Hnll. The parish comprises 2, 410 acres of land, and 1, 500 of water. Real property, £10, 464; of which £470 are in quarries. Pop., 1, 625. Houses, 364. The property is subdivided. The manor belonged to the Stutvilles; was given by them to the canons of Watton; and passed to the Wakes and others. ...
Hessle-Wood Hall is a chief residence. There are two whiting manufactories. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of York. Value, £303.* Patron, the Lord Chancellor. The church is very good; and there are a Wesleyan chapel, a national school, and charities £126.The sub-district includes also three townships of Kirk-Ella. Acres, 7, 480. Pop., 2, 522. Houses, 563.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Hessle has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of East Riding of Yorkshire. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Hessle and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Hessle, in East Riding of Yorkshire and East Riding | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 06th December 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Hessle".