In 1887, John Bartholomew's Gazetteer of the British Isles described Colinton like this:
Colinton, par. and vil. with ry. sta., in co. and 4 miles SW. of Edinburgh, on Water of Leith, 5640 ac., pop. 4347; P.O., T.O.; has numerous corn and paper mills on Water of Leith, and a bleachfield at Inglis Green. A little NE. of sta. is Colinton House.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Colinton has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Edinburgh. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Colinton and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Colinton, in Edinburgh and Midlothian | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 18th May 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Colinton".