In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Walworth like this:
WALWORTH, a metropolitan suburb and three chapelries in Newington parish, Surrey. The suburb lies on the London, Chatham, and Dover railway, between Southwark and Camberwell, 2¼ miles S of St. Paul's; was once a hamlet, known at Domesday as Walerode; is now all compactly edificed; contains Surrey Zoological gardens, opened in 1832, and a Botanic garden; and has a post-office‡ under London S, a r. station, a P.-police station, three churches, twelve or more dissenting chapels, a number of public schools, a female orphan home, and the Newington workhouse. ...
Acres, 321. Pop. in 1851, 29,861; in 1861, 44,463. Houses, 6,975.-The chapelries are St. Peter, constituted in 1826; St. Paul, 1857; and S. John, 1860. The livings are p. curacies in the diocese of London. Value of St. Peter and St. Paul, each £300;* of St. John, £200. Patron of St. Peter, the Rector of Newington; of St. Pauland St. John, the Dean and Chapter of Canterbury. St Peter's church was built in 1825, at a cost of £19,127; and is in the Ionic style. A Baptist chapel was built in 1864, at a cost of £5,900; and has an octostyle Corinthian portico.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Walworth has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Southwark. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Walworth and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Walworth, in Southwark and Surrey | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 20th June 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Walworth".