In 1887, John Bartholomew's Gazetteer of the British Isles described Stanley like this:
Stanley, vil. with ry. sta. (Stanley Junction), Auchtergaven and Redgorton pars., and quoad sacra par., partly also in Kinclaven par., Perthshire - quoad sacra par., pop. 1276; vil., on river Tay, ½ mile SW. of Stanley Junction and 7 miles N. of Perth, pop. 1030; P.O., T.O.; has cotton factories; Stanley House, seat, is in vicinity.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Stanley has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Perth and Kinross. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Stanley and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Stanley, in Perth and Kinross and Perthshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 19th May 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Stanley".