In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Roath like this:
ROATH, a parish in Cardiff district, Glamorgan; on the South Wales railway adjacent to the river Rumney, 1¼ mile N E of Cardiff. Post-town, Cardiff. Acres, 3, 500; of which 1,070 are water. Real property, £11, 746. Pop. in 1851, 394; in 1861, 3,044. Houses, 525. The increase of pop. arose from connexion with Cardiff. The property is not much divided. Plas Newydd is a chiefresidence. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Llandaff. Value, £96. Patron, the Marquis of Bute.. The church is good. A Baptist chapel is at Tredegar-ville; was built in 1862, at a cost of £3, 200; and is in the early English style, and cruciform.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Roath has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Cardiff. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Roath and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Roath, in Cardiff and Glamorgan | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 21st May 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Roath".