In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Plaistow like this:
PLAISTOW, a village, a chapelry, and a ward, in West Ham parish, Essex. The village stands on the great N sewer of the London sewage-works, adjacent to the London and Southend railway, 1½ mile S S E of Stratford, and 6¼ E by N of St. Paul's, London; and has a station on the railway, a post-office under London E, and a metropolitan police station. The chapelry was constituted in 1844, and curtailed in 1862 and 1867. Pop. in 1861, 11, 214. Houses, 1, 689. Pop. as curtailed, 6, 714. ...
The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of London. Value, £300.* Patron, the Vicar of West Ham. The church was built in 1830 at a cost of £4, 800; and is in the Tudor style. There are chapels for Independents and Quakers, and national, British, and Independent schools; and the last were built in 1866, at a cost of £2, 500, and have accommodation for 500 children. The ward comprises the larger portion of the parish; contains the Victoria docks and Silvertown; and consists, to a considerable extent, of marsh. Real property, in 1860, £81,004; of which £524 were in railway s. Pop. with Church-street ward, in 1851, 8, 231; in 1861, 22, 337. Houses, 3, 418.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Plaistow has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Newham. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Plaistow and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Plaistow, in Newham and Essex | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 26th May 2015
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Plaistow".