In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Pateley Bridge like this:
PATELEY-BRIDGE, a town, a chapelry, a sub-district, and a district, in W. R. Yorkshire. The town stands on the river Nidd, at the terminus of the Nidd Valley railway, 11 miles S W by W of Ripon; consists chiefly of one street, going down a steep descent towardthe river; is a polling-place; and has a post-office‡ under Leeds, a railway station with telegraph, a banking office, two chief inns, a bridge, two churches, Wesleyan and Primitive Methodist chapels, a mechanics' institute, a free school, and a workhouse. ...
The old church was recently restored, and is used only for burial service. The new church was built in 1827, at a cost of £4,000; is in the pointed style; and consists of nave, three aisles, and chancel, with a tower. A weekly market is held on Saturday; a well-attended fair, for sheep and cattle, is held on every alternate Saturday; brewing and flax-spinning are carried on; and numerous lead mines and large quarries are in the neighbourhood. The chapelry is in Ripon parish; comprises the townships of High and Low Bishopside and Bewerley. Acres, 11, 685. Real property, £11, 153; of which £1,051 are in mines. Pop.in 1851, 3, 127; in 1861, 3, 349. Houses, 727. The manor belongs to the Archbishop of York. The sceneryalong the river is picturesque; a moor of upwards of4,000 acres has been enclosed; and extensive stalactiticcaverns, at Stump-Cross, were discovered in 1860. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Ripon. Value, £300. Patrons, the Dean and Chapter of Ripon. The sub-district is conterminate with the chapelry. The district comprehends also the sub-district of Ramsgill, containing three townships of Kirkby-Malzeard parish; .the sub-district of Thornthwaite, containing three townships of Hampsthwaite parish, and one of Fewston; and the sub-district of Dacre-Banks, containing the parish of Warsill, and the townships of Dacre, Bishop-Thornton, Clint, and Hartwith-with-Winsley. Acres, 74, 275. Poor-rates in 1863, £5, 131. Pop. in 1851, 9, 334; in 1861, 9, 534. Houses, 1, 987. Marriages in 1863, 62; births, 307, of which 28 were illegitimate; deaths, 192, of which 59 were at ages under 5 years, and 6 at ages above 85. Marriages in the ten years 1851-60, 388; births, 2, 922; deaths, 1,819. The places of worship, in 1851, were 8 of the Church of England, with 2, 562sittings; 1 of Independents, with 400 s.; 1 of Quakers, with 230 s.; 12 of Wesleyans, with 2, 542 s.; and 6 of Primitive Methodists, with 897 s. The schools were14 public day-schools, with 588 scholars; 13 privateday-schools, with 203 s.; and 21 Sunday schools, with1, 233 s.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Pateley Bridge has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Harrogate. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Pateley Bridge and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Pateley Bridge, in Harrogate and West Riding | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 13th December 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Pateley Bridge".