In 1882-4, Frances Groome's Ordnance Gazetteer of Scotland described Newtonmore like this:
Newtonmore, a village in Kingussie parish, Inverness-shire, near the left bank of the Spey, and ½ mile NNW of Newtonmore station on the Highland railway, this being 27 ¼ miles SW of Grantown. It has a post and railway telegraph office under Kingussie, a public school, and fairs on the Tuesdays of April and October after Beauly. Pop. (1871) 305, (1881) 306.Ord. Sur., sh. 64, 1874.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Newtonmore has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Highland. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Newtonmore and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Newtonmore, in Highland and Inverness Shire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 10th December 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Newtonmore".