In 1887, John Bartholomew's Gazetteer of the British Isles described Maxwelltown like this:
Maxwelltown, town and quoad sacra par. with ry. sta., Troqueer par., and police burgh, partly also in Terregles par., Kirkcudbright - par., pop. 2070; town, pop. 4455; police burgh, pop. 4576; the town is included in the parliamentary burgh of Dumfries, with which Maxwelltown is connected by bridges over the Nith. Maxwelltown (previous to 1810 called Bridgend) has tweed mills, grain mills, saw mills, a dyework, nursery grounds, &c. In S. vicinity, on Corbelly Hill, are an observatory (with museum) and the convent and church (1881-1884) of the Immaculate Conception.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Maxwelltown has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Dumfries and Galloway. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Maxwelltown and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Maxwelltown, in Dumfries and Galloway and Kirkcudbrightshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 05th December 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Maxwelltown".