Place:


Ironbridge  Shropshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Ironbridge like this:

IRON-BRIDGE, a village and a chapelry in Madeley parish, Salop. The village stands adjacent to the river Severn and to the Severn valley railway, 1 mile E of Coalbrookdale; takes its name from a metal bridge over the Severn; and has a station on the railway and a post office under Wellington, Salop. ...


The bridge was erected in 1779, has a span of 100½ feet, rises 40 feet, is 24 feet wide, and weighs 378½ tons.—The chapelry was constituted in 1845. Pop. in 1861, 3, 154. Houses, 647. The inhabitants are employed chiefly in iron works. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Hereford. Value, £220.* Patron, the Vicar of Madeley. The church was erected in 1836; and is a neat building, with a tower.

Ironbridge through time

Ironbridge is now part of Telford and Wrekin district. Click here for graphs and data of how Telford and Wrekin has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Ironbridge itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Ironbridge, in Telford and Wrekin and Shropshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/20318

Date accessed: 21st February 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Ironbridge ".