In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Greenstead like this:
GREENSTEAD, a parish in Colchester district, Essex; on the river Colne, 1 mile S of Colchester. It contains the Hythe r. station, and has a post office under Colchester. Real property, £3, 422. Pop., 789. Houses, 178. The property mostly belongs to two owners. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Rochester. Value, £293. * Patron, the Crown. The church is very good; and the new church of St. John the Evangelist also is here.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Greenstead has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Colchester. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Greenstead and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Greenstead, in Colchester and Essex | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 23rd May 2015
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Greenstead".